Wednesday, March 10, 2004

So I had my upper endoscopy today and it was the single most horrible experience I can ever recall having. The people in this outpatient center are very nice and I've had two colonoscopies with them before. Never did I have any problems. Everything was fine and dandy until they sedated me. When I had my colonoscopies the sedation took firm hold and I did not wake up until I was in the recovery area.

I woke up at least twice under the sedation and immediately started choking from this tube down my throat. I want to say it was painful too but that may just be my mind adding it as an afterthought. At one point I vomited and, at another, I believe I was actually fighting them because I wanted that tube OUT. I vaguely remember sobbing too. My throat hurts so bad right now, I can barely swallow.

I've read several experiences others have had with an upper endoscopy and they've all had such nice pleasant experiences with only a vague sore throat afterwards to remind them. I'm exhausted too. I came home and slept off and on for at least four hours. I only woke up to go to the bathroom (IV fluid and stuff to drink after the procedure). Now I have a headache and am waiting for the husband to come home with some throat lozenges for me.

What did I find out from the endoscopy? Well, there are a couple things that were readily visible. I will have to wait for the biopsy results for the main problem they were trying to either confirm or rule out (Celiac Disease). I have erosions in my esophogus from acid reflux disease, I have a small axial hiatal hernia and there was evidence of mild gastritis. I am now on Previcid for the acid reflux and the rest is just a waiting game. My hernia is small enough to not worry about right now. So that's that.

No comments: