Friday, July 21, 2006

Feline stealing gardening gloves of Pelham

This is one of the funnier news articles I have read in a long time. I'm so totally a cat person and this is just so endearing to me. Animal behavior is endlessly fascinating to me. Why do they do what they do? What are they thinking? In this case, why the fascination with gloves?

Sometimes I wish I could read the minds of our cats, especially my cat Chelsea. I've had Chelsea for ten years now. She's been my constant companion during those ten years and, at times, was the only friend I had the in the world. She loves my husband but I am her "person". Even when he's scritching her in that special spot behind her ears, if I walk into the room her eyes are on me. Though she's not a lap cat, if I'm feeling blue she'll curl up on the sofa next to me and press close to my side. When she wants company, she'll perch on the back of the couch behind my head. Sometimes at night, she sleeps pressed up against the small of my back. She has such a personality and I swear sometimes she makes faces at me when she's mad at me!

Our cats are funny and not a one of them are alike in personality. Chelsea is the house "mother". Maxine is our "Bucky" (from the Get Fuzzy comics) even if she's not siamese. I think of her as our little curmudgeon. O'possum is my husband's cat through and through. He's a little slow and dumb but we love him just the same. He got his name because, as a kitten, he looked like a little baby o'possum. Our ugly duckling who turned into a swan, he's become a gorgeous cat, colored like a snowshoe kitty. Tink, his sister, is our sitting pretty kitty. She's the most gorgeous shade of grey (mouse grey we think of it) with white on paws. She's very stand-offish unless she wants attention and then she's relentless in her persuit of a good ear scratching. My daughter also has two cats; Mama, a very noisy ('talky') siamese and Hades, a sleek black kitty who has more than earned his name.

Our kitty cup runneth over but, you know, I wouldn't have it any other way. My house is just not a home without at least one cat. I suppose, though, you could call us the crazy cat family.

No comments: